Liver Cancer Stages and Symptoms
Liver is an organ that is responsible for a lot more jobs than is given credit for. This might sound a bit melodramatic. However, if you look at it, there are a lot more reasons due to which the liver can get damaged. One such damage is the liver cancer. And like all the other forms of this malignant disease, there are liver cancer stages that exist. These stages have varying symptoms that extend from none at all to complete shutting down your organs. Understanding these variations is an important facet if you want the treatment for this disease to get into picture.
Different stages and different symptoms:
As we have already established that there are 4 stages of liver cancer. We are going to look through each and every one of these and observe how varying the symptoms are:
- Stage 1: The liver cancer stage 1 entails a single tumour whose size doesn’t exceed further than 2 cm. Furthermore, at this stage, the tumour hasn’t reached the blood vessels yet. So, you can expect that the growth has no way of reaching the nearby lymph nodes:
- Symptoms of this stage:
The only symptom that you might feel at this stage is abdominal pain and some irritation in the abdominal region.
- Stage 2: The Liver cancer stage 2 entails the tumour that has exceeded 2 cm size. However, at this juncture, it is yet to reach the blood vessels and the lymph nodes are safe as well.
- Symptoms at this stage:
The symptoms at this stage are not so different from the earlier. There might be irritation, but nothing much more than that will happen. Therefore, to discern that the cancer is stage 2, imaging diagnostics have to be done.
Stage 3: there are three sub-stages of this liver cancer stage 3 and these are as follows:
- 3A: the tumour is larger than 2 inches, but have yet to reach the lymph nodes
- 3B: There are multiple tumours and one of them has started growing into the portal vein.
- 3C: the tumour has grown in the surrounding organ as well. This is the stage where the outer covering of the liver has gotten filled with tumour.
However, the tumour has yet to reach the lymph nodes:
Symptoms at this stage:
- You are going to feel pain on the right shoulder
- There are going to be some jaundice like symptoms
- You will be nauseated
- Your hunger will be less
- The urine that you will produce will be dark coloured.
- Stage 4: When it comes to liver cancer stage 4, you should know that it is the most advanced form of liver cancer. If you have read through till now, you already know what comes next. The tumour has spread across the lymph nodes and the distant organs. In other words, the cancer has gone metastatic. At this stage, the symptoms are a lot more pronounced.
Symptoms at this stage
- You are going to lose a lot of weight
- You are going to feel pain i the upper right abdominal region
- Jaundice like symptoms will be more pronounced
- Fatigue of extreme degree
- You will feel bloated at most times.
- You will experience a severe loss of appetite.
These are the stages of liver cancer. As you can expect, the symptoms of the initial stages are not pronounced as much. To that end, misdiagnosis is possible. Therefore, be vigilant to make sure that you can get a handle on liver cancer to make sure that you can be treated rightly. For that, do not forget about the liver cancer treatment in India