Healthy Diet after Liver Transplant
Liver transplant is a critical surgical operation in which the failing liver of the patient is replaced with some part or the whole liver of the donor. This treatment is usually considered as an end stage treatment option as this treatment is used only when no other treatment options are able to provide relief to the patient. Usually this treatment is provided to the people suffering from acute and chronic liver conditions. After the liver transplant surgery the patient is highly recommended to consume a liver friendly diet and prevent the excessive weight gain. Consuming the healthy diet can help in managing the complications like infections, high blood pressure, diabetes etc of the liver. Just after the surgery the patient shall consult a dietician and get the right eating plan. Eating right is very important as to manage the rejections the immunosuppressive are used by the doctors. The right diet will support the patient in recovering fast. In this article we will discuss the food items to be consumed and avoid after the liver transplant surgery.
Food items to be taken after the liver transplant surgery
- The liver friendly diet shall particularly consist of the fluids so the patient can remain hydrated full the whole day.
- The sources of healthy protein like lean meat, protein and fish shall to consumed to help in the fast recovery from the surgery.
- Don’t forget to include fiber in your diet like lentils, apple, bananas, broccoli etc.
- Intake whole grains bread, pasta and other grains in your diet.
- Opt for the healthy fat options like low-fat milk, low fat dairy products in order to fulfill the calcium requirements of your body.
- Exclude certain food items from diet for making it a healthy diet. The items to be avoided holds more importance than the items to be included thus here we take a look at the items to be avoided in the comprehensive manner.
Food items to be avoided after the liver transplant surgery
- Raw or uncooked meat, fish, crabs, clams, oysters and the mussels.
- Dairy products are good for your health but make sure to avoid the unpasteurized milk and food items made from it like cheese or butter. Further make sure to avoid the uncooked eggs or ay items containing them.
- Usually the perfect diet plan must be packed with the fruits and veggies. However, in case of liver diet the grapefruit, pomegranate and their juices shall be avoided.
- The unwashed raw fruits and vegetables shall also be avoided completely.
- Sprouts must also be avoided.
- Alcohol is the biggest enemy of the people suffering any liver condition. Thus, make sure to stay a mile away from the alcohol.
After the liver transplant treatment it is important to consume a healthy diet. Liver transplant is not an ordinary medical procedure thus a right diet is most important to support it and help the patients in recovering fast.