Liver Cancer Treatment Cost in India
The most important organ of the body is the liver: as arguable as this statement is, you know that it might as well be true. Why?
- It makes sure that all the foods that we eat are detoxified.
- It makes sure that fat that we eat is broken down.
- Its juices help with digesting the food.
- It filters the blood that comes from the digestive system.
The above mentioned functions are just 4 of the 500 functions that the liver performs. To that end, you can imagine what can actually happen to the entire body when liver cancer happens. This is not a simple malignancy that you can just slip under the rug. It requires treatments as soon as possible.
These treatment options have varying rates of success. However, if there is one thing that can be said for certain it is this:
You can get the best treatments for liver when you catch the issue pretty early on.
However, effectiveness of the treatments aside, there is also the matter of costs for these treatments. Honestly speaking, cost issues tend to be at the top of the list when it comes to all of the reasons as to why treatments are willingly denied.
That being said, when it comes to India, this particular matter of cost is drastically different. The liver treatment cost in India is on the lower end of the spectrum. How and why? Throughout the course of this blog, we are going to assist you with this particular matter.
What are the treatments associated with liver cancer?
The liver cancer treatment everywhere around the world seems to follow along a single convention; this single convention being that of cancer treatment. There is always going to be chemotherapy and radiotherapy for treatments, and the process to administer them always going to be the same. However, there are other variants of such treatments as we are going to explain in the following:
- Chemoembolization: This is a form of chemotherapy in which drugs are administered to the body through the hepatic artery. The drugs administered have a singular goal to halt the production of the cancer cells and killing them as well.
- Radioembolization: This is a variant of radiation therapy for the liver. Here, radioactive beads are place in the hepatic artery. The goal of these beads is to kill the cancer cells and stop them from dividing any further.
- Targeted therapy: This form of therapy came into picture to deal with the large spectrum of chemotherapy. A more precise drug administration, this treatment targets the specific genes that are associated with cancer cells.
- Liver transplantation: If the liver cancer has spread throughout the entire organ. Than the best course of action is to remove and replace the liver. This particular form of treatments is called the liver transplantation and is a more drastic treatment in this regard.
- Surgery: While liver transplantation is also a surgical measure, we have specified surgery in a different point in order to tell you about the procedures that entail removing a certain section of the liver that has cancerous cells. Surgery is one of the techniques to remove it.
- Radiofrequency ablation: This is procedure that uses the radiofrequency waves in order ablate (cut out) the cancerous region from the liver.
If you or your loved one has liver cancer, then you might go through either some or all of the procedures listed above. The treatment cost of liver cancer in India comes out like this:
- Cost of six cycles of chemotherapy: INR 2.5 Lakhs
- Cost of Radiotherapy: This is done in conjunction with Chemoembolization and therefore, the cost is cumulative one that comes out as INR 6.5 Lakhs
- Cost of Heptactomy (Surgery): INR 2.1 lakhs
- Cost of Liver transplantation: INR 20 Lakhs
The cumulative cost of liver cancer treatment in India comes out to be around INR 30 lakhs to INR 35 Lakhs, which comes out to be approximately $45000 to $50000.